Magical Tips for Calm Parenting
Just the other day, I bumped into a school friend at a local supermarket. We had been rather close, growing up, but we drifted apart over the years. We were so overwhelmed finding out that we lived in the same city that she instinctively invited me home for some coffee. The idea of catching up over some homemade coffee and cookies on a lazy Sunday afternoon was rather inviting and yours truly lapped it up!
While we were busy updating each other on how we had been over the years, my friend’s five-year-old daughter ran up to her and jumped up on her lap. Then she began imploring my friend to take her to the store to buy some crayons. My friend tried to lovingly tell her that they would go later. However, the firecracker of a munchkin (she is absolute cuteness though), was in no mood to compromise. Maybe she was upset over an unforeseen guest chilling with her mamma, and eating up her playtime (guilty as charged!). She started pestering my friend going “Let’s go now. I want the crayons right now. I have to make my greeting card.” After trying to make her understand for a good five minutes my had-been cool-headed friend lost her nerve and screamed at her baby. It was a scary moment that helped shut-up both her daughter and myself. 😀 I am kidding.
The event actually got me thinking about how stressful it can be to be a calm, zen parent in our unpredictable everyday life. I can’t blame the cute daughter for wanting her mommy’s attention, no matter what, or the loving mother for craving for some unplanned “me time” with a long-lost friend in her stressful life. That’s when I sat down with my expert team at Wow Parenting to jot down this list of magical tips for clam parenting. I am sure there many parents out there like my dear friend who could use some practical tips to calm themselves down when they are losing their cool with their kids. Here’s your talisman for the rainy days, my friend!
- If you think that the situation at hand with your kids is making you lose your mind, that in one more instant you would become a screaming banshee, just walk out of the room and go take a bath. Yes! I am not kidding. The bath will pull you out of the stressful moment, help your body and mind calm down , and will give you the time to decide your response to the situation.
- If you don’t know how to not have a fight over a disagreement with your kids, go call a friend. You need not discuss the issue with the friend! Just take your mind off the blood-pressure raising scenario by talking to a friend. In that time, calm your mind down then come back to talk to your child (calmly).
- If you can’t do either of the two for lack of time, just go out of the room and get yourself a glass of water. That will surely calm you down from losing your cool.
- If you absolutely must go through the nasty situation at hand and tell your kids off for something, first find one thing to appreciate them for. For example: Appreciate them for telling you the truth about losing their new watch and then tell them how it is irresponsible, nonetheless.
- If you think none of this would work to calm you down, tell yourself, “things could have been worse.” Find the silver lining in the mess at hand. Focus on that and even count your blessings. That will help you respond calmly to your kids, even when they are at wrong.
- If things are really bad, where you feel like you are losing all decorum and cool, jump three times, go to the balcony and scream, or simply hit the pillow! Do whatever it takes but refrain from screaming at your kids, as much as you can.
These tips should help you sail through and be a calm, zen parent most of the time. If you want more of such magic fixes, do explore our Online Parenting program. Enjoy the magic, you incredible parent!