In the past few months, we have been helping you chart your journey of experiencing our online parenting program. We have been exploring all the videos from specific topics, telling you all about them, and nudging you to watch them. While we sincerely hope that you did and also benefitted from the tips in the videos, we know that a parent’s life can get incredibly busy.
Which is why we have put together all the content from the Building Self Esteem tpoic, in a nutshell here. For those who haven’t watched the videos (you still can), this should help!
Building Self Esteem:
In this topic, we looked at how we parents can make or break things for our kids, by building or breaking their self esteem. We explored this topic in detail by looking at everything that affects a child’s self esteem.
- Lack of communication: How a lack of effective communication can make kids feel unloved and unwanted. Listening and communicating is the cornerstone for every effective relationships, especially those with kids. In our age of smartphones and social media, we need to check ourselves to ensure that we are communicating with our kids effectively.
- Lack of touch: Secure touch such ha hugs can foster your child’s self esteem. That’s how they thrive and grow. Kids need secure touch to feel cherished, loved and cared about. Learn more about this in the video here.
- Appreciation: Everyone loves genuine appreciation. It is heartening and fills one with confidence and joy. As long as we don’t overdo it, kids need appreciation as well.
- Abuse: This topic is just not talked about enough. Abuse towards kids comes in multiple forms and ends up breaking their moral. They grow into adults with insecutrties, complexes and issues that can go beyond just self esteem issues. I urge you to watch the video on abuse and learn more about this.
- Comparison: Comparisons kill! No one likes being compared to others. It is as good as putting people down. However, there is something called “positive comparison” which could actually help your kids. Know more about that in the video.
- Harsh Discipline: Disciplining kids is important. However, that needs to be done with dignity and respect. That’s what’s discussed in this video.
- Overprotection: We all are protective towards our kids. We always want them to be safe and happy. But being overprotective towards them could cripple them. Understand this concept better in the video.
- Threats: Kids don’t respond to threats well. Even adults don’t. Threats are demeaning and show control. Don’t use them! The video will tell you what to do instead.
- Unrealistic expectations: Setting expectations with kids is really important. However, being realistic about them is imperative. Setting unrealistic expectations only leads to disappointment for everyone. Understand this better from the video.
It is important that all kids have a healthy self esteem and carry that through their lives. You, dear parents, play a crucial role in making that happen. So do watch the videos on this topic. And watch this space for a nugget blog like this one on 8 Critical Abilities that we need to help our kids have.