Naren’s letter to moms
I am obsessed with understanding what makes people excel, what goes into the creation of a genius? I read every bit that crosses my path that mentions about super achievers. However, I am humbled and inspired when I sat to write down this letter to ‘moms’.
Time and again, I have seen moms raise their lives to another level for the sake of their children.
Time and again, I have seen moms sacrifice their comforts for the sake of their children.
Time and again, I have seen moms shuffle their priorities to give the best they can to their children.
Time and again, I have seen moms smile their way through the inconvenience of raising a child who pushes their boundaries of self restraint and patience.
Are they not people who excel? Are they not people who are living the life of a genius? Sheepishly I realised, I was searching for geniuses and excellers among known names and in famous places. I should have just observed the life of a regular mom and witnessed excellence and genius combined.
What have I seen in moms that makes me revere them?
- Women who had issues in their life with patience, developed a huge reservoir of the same, AFTER they became a mom.
- Women who were pampered and were demanding, transformed themselves into mom with unconditional love, the moment they held their crinky nosed bundle of joy in their hands.
- Women who were careless in keeping their own bags and shoes in place, god only knows from where, became methodical and super systematic. Mind you, they did no course on ISO et al.
- Women how would complain every now and then that they are tired, unlocked an unknown treasure deep within, and became full of energy and vigour.
- What is that completely transforms the lives of a mom? What is the piece of the jigsaw puzzle that falls in place, that makes an ordinary lady into a super person – a mom?
I met a few moms and asked them these questions. Some just shrugged. Some giggled. Some sighed. Some arched their eyebrows as if only a mom would understand, a man could never fathom their depths. Needless to say, every time I asked this question, as a man, as a father, I felt ordinary.
One mom, as she was pushing her shopping trolley with one hand, holding a child with the other hand, searching for a particular cereal on the display racks with her eyes, and using her ears to listen to me, replied very simply, “Its very simple naren. We feel completely responsible for the new life! We will do whatever it takes with no preset limits.”
In her tone, I knew I was dismissed. I stood transfixed in my place. Her three statements kept on ringing in my head. “Its very simple naren. We feel completely responsible for the new life! We will do whatever it takes with no preset limits.”
Wow! Balancing four things together, she had just revealed what a genius is all about. I asked myself, isn’t this what excellence is all about?
Dearest Moms of the world, on behalf of all the other normal male mortals, please accept our admiration, gratitude and salaam. You moms totally ROCK.
With love, prayers and best wishes,